Mrs. A M Pradhan is Deputy Director (ARU) at All India Radio Raipur and supporting staff is a investigator and tabular for completing the work. Its HQ is at DG AIR New Delhi. With the changing mass communication scenario, Audience Research has occupied the centre stage. World over, almost all the big media organizations have been doing in-house audience research in one form or the other. Without ‘Market Research’ (in marketing) no media organization can afford to put their precious resource at stake without knowing the potential audience (consumers) and market for their media content.
Besides, they are also subscribing to syndicated research done by the various media and market research organizations. The secret behind the success of private TV and Radio channels lies in their capability to feel the pulse of audience through continuous audience research and to design and modify the programme content including presentation accordingly.
All India Radio has been a pioneer in this field. Presently, it has a network of 38 Audience Research Units across the country which started with a humble beginning in 1946 as 'Listeners' Research Wing'. During all those years, it worked as eyes and ears for the organization.
• Providing instant feedback to programme planners/ producers through Quick feedback studies, Listeners' Letter Analysis, Content Analysis, Focus Group Discussions and Panel Studies etc.
• Carrying out periodical large scale Radio Audience Surveys on various AIR channels to provide listenership data to programmers, sponsors, advertisers, and marketers.
• Undertaking sponsored Audience Research studies from other government departments/autonomous bodies.
• Conducting on demand special Audience Research studies and Feed-forward Studies before start of a new station.
• Functioning as data bank, research and reference section for the organization.
• Helping to develop marketing strategies in terms of providing listenership data across socio economic categories.
Major Achievements in Recent Years :
Radio Audience Surveys : (Conducted Across The Country)
• Radio Audience Survey on Primary Channels- 2007-08 at 64 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on Vividh Bharati Channels-2007-08 at 14 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on FM Channels-2007-08 at 18 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on FM Rainbow and Gold Channels-2008-09 at 18 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on Vividh Bharati Channel-2010-11 at 11 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on Primary Channel-2010-11 at 33 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on Primary Channels-2011-12 at 36 stations.
• Radio Audience Survey on FM Channels-2011-12 at 24 stations
Feedback/Impact Studies :
• Study on the Impact of Flagship Programmes.
• Quick Feedback Studies on demand.
• Weekly ‘Feedback survey on Kisanvani Programme’ sponsored by Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India at 96 Stations spread over 24 states and three UTs across the country covered about 20,000 villages and two lakh farmers up to 30th September,2008. It might be the biggest feedback survey ever conducted by any media research organization.
• Radio Audience Survey on FM channels for the fixation of rates of advertising through DAVP, sponsored by DAVP, M/O Information and Broadcasting, Government of India at 84 places all over the country during 2009-10